Month: January 2016

Aisha’s Dress – Part 2

I’ve got the rolled edge hem completed, and the sleeves are attached to the top:

20160130_003645 20160130_003700

I’ve also got the circle skirt hemmed (what a difference pressing the folds makes – my first circle skirt was OK … but the bottom hedge was certainly uneven. I now make the first fold, press, make the second fold, press, then stitch. The result is a nice even hemline).

20160130_105857

To give my mom an idea of what her finished dress will look like, I pinned the top and bottom together. And we almost have two dresses!

20160130_121444

Aisha’s back is not as deeply V’d as Anya’s – two different options from the dress pattern.

20160130_115657

Aisha’s Dress

Now that I’ve (a) used my serger a few times … including my first two rolled hems! and (b) made the V-back dress once, I am ready to start Aisha’s dress.

I’ve got the front and back pieces sewn together. The lining and the main fabric were lined up and sewn along the neckline and V back.

20160129_003144

I’m about to do the rolled hem on the sleeves —

20160129_003302

Anya’s Easter Dress

My mom asked me if I’d make a dress for Aisha – she’d buy the pattern and fabric, and I’d provide the labor. It is a really cute pattern, and the size range is incredible. The dress pattern for Aisha’s size 7 dress includes the size 4 that I use for Anya. I figured I’d make the same dress in a different fabric for Anya’s Easter dress to give me some practice using the pattern (and my new serger!!!) before making something to give away.

Looking at the pattern web page, I really liked one of the fabrics pictured. I e-mailed their contact address and immediately was provided a link to the fabric. Bonus, it is on clearance. I looked at the “how much fabric do I need” chart and worked out how much fabric I’d need — rounded up because it’s a fairly large print, and I wanted to have enough fabric to ensure I could get flowers and butterflies visible on the dress.

I printed the pattern — each size is a different layer in the PDF file, so you don’t have a bunch of confusing lines intersecting. Awesome idea, one I hope more pattern designers implement. Once all of the pieces were cut out, I laid the dresses out just to get an idea what they’d look like.

20160123_214618

Getting the little sleeve gathered and affixed to the dress took a LOT of pins!

20160125_001936

Stitched the front & back together, with the little sleeves sandwiched between the fabric and the lining … turned it right-side-out and we’ve got a dress top.

20160125_214412 20160125_214348

The bottom is a circle skirt – it gets attached to the bodice. I still need to serge the fabrics along the waist seam … other than that, the dress is done!

20160129_003016 20160129_003042

I think it looks awesome. And Anya loves wearing it – dancing around and spinning. And I’ve got her Easter dress ready to go two months early!

Realized, once I was finished, that I literally had enough fabric to make a second size 4 dress. I had added the “dress” yards and the “lining” yards together. D’oh! Feel slightly less silly because my mom did the exact same thing … There’s not enough extra fabric to do both a size 4 and a size 7 … but there’s plenty to make a skirt and the dress. Each girl is going to get a skirt from the other’s left-over fabrics.

The Imaginarium

I am just starting to set up a craft room. I got the DIGNITET curtain wire from Ikea; the fabrics are wrapped around cardboard backing boards used for comic book storage. Each one is hung with two RIKTIG clips. The curtain wire holds a LOT of fabrics. Since the craft room doesn’t get much natural light, I’m not worried about fading. Dust is a concern, though. Next step is to get some containers for my yarn and thread. Anyway, here’s the craft room:

20160116_162606_Bellus Rd

 

Birthday Cake!

I have no idea what made me decide to make my first ever angel food cake for Anya’s birthday — so many things that could have gone wrong with such a delicate cake. But eh, what’s life without some risk (well, and I could always make a quick carob “wacky” cake).

Whipped the egg whites and castor sugar – along with some hazelnut extract

DSC_8247

And then very gently folded in the flour mixture — I used a silicon spatula, and I was rather surprised how fluffy the batter was after adding the flour. I was really worried that it would deflate. The batter is incredibly sweet — it’s basically sugar suspended in whipped egg white and enough flour to keep it together. Uncooked, it tastes a little like spun sugar.

DSC_8249

Then I very carefully scooped it into a bundt pan (yeah, wrong kind of pan … but I didn’t have time to get the proper pan posted to me after I realized it wasn’t something you could just buy anywhere). Very gently placed the pan in the oven, and left the vicinity for an hour.

DSC_8251

Voila! We got an angel food cake! It is a super sweet cake, but it went very well with the lemon curd (which also used all of those egg yolks left over after making the cake!).

DSC_8256