- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium cloves roasted garlic
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 (28-ounce) whole San Marzanos tomatoes
- 2 cups stock
- 1/3 cup heavy cream or 1/2 cup whole milk
- Freshly ground black pepper
Heat the olive oil over medium low heat, add a pinch of salt, then slowly add the onion slices (allowing time for the liquid to evaporate off between additions) and sauté until the onions begin to caramelize. Mush the roasted garlic and add to onion. Deglaze the pan with stock. Run tomatoes through a blender, then add to pot. Add red pepper flakes and black pepper. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Stir in cream. Voila, tomato soup!
We served this with cheddar biscuits – whatever bread recipe you like, then add grated cheddar cheese. I used about a cup of cheddar for four cups of flour in the bread.